I completed my first project for the entryway! Before I start, I should tell you that I chose the peacock theme and not the purple theme. I thought it was best for my marriage; Chris strongly disliked the purple flowery theme. HA!
Chris got a jumpstart on the project and began to remove the old fixture before I could get a picture. But this picture will give you an idea of how outdated it was. It was an old brass light that had a glass shade with grapes etched into the glass. We saved the glass shade and I’m going to do something with it, just not sure yet what that will be. Nonetheless, here’s the “before” picture with the fixture half removed.
So here’s the shopping list:
- Chandelier $40 Kristaller from Ikea (I actually had this on hand, but I doubt most people do)
- Material: $3 on sale at my local craft store
- Lampshade: $3 at the local Goodwill
Total cost: $46! Now, that’s a steal!
Additional Materials on Hand:
- Spray Adhesive
- Metallic Spray Paint
- Hot Glue/Hot Glue Gun
- Gold Acrylic Paint / Paint Brush
This project was done in two phases. Phase I was the lampshade and Phase II was the chandelier. The chandelier took some brainstorming on our part and I almost scrapped the whole project, but I’ll get to that soon enough.
PHASE I, The Lampshade
I must credit the hubs on his fabulous find at the local Goodwill. He found this drum barrel lampshade brand new for only $3. It was just what I was looking for to begin my entryway transformation. Our very next stop was the fabric store to search for material that I could use to cover the shade. I found this gorgeous blue fabric with gold flowers embroidered on it. (Yes, I found this one because Chris was busy chatting it up with the old ladies and showing off the baby. LOL) The best part… The fabric was on clearance at only $3 a yard. I bought extra so I would have plenty leftover to do a matching shade for the second fixture in the hallway, which still needs to be done.
That evening we were off to my MIL’s to measure, cut, stretch and spray the fabric over the lampshade. Chris went to play basketball with his buddies because we were being way too domestic for him. LOL. I knew I wanted the fabric to not only cover the outside of the lampshade, but to also create a small border around the bottom of the inside of the lampshade. So my MIL made all the measurements from the edge of the border for the inside of the lampshade. We then trimmed the fabric and wrapped it around the shade. Once we knew how we wanted it to lay, we each took a side of the shade. We would stretch and smooth the material over the shade, then one would use the spray adhesive and the other would hold it in place. We slowly worked our way around the shade, spraying adhesive and smoothing. After we got the outside sprayed into place, we glued the inside border into place. The seam wouldn’t lay flat with the spray adhesive, so I busted out the trusty old hot glue gun and hot glued the end down to make a flat seam.
My MIL mentioned that I should paint the inside of the lampshade gold to highlight the gold flowers in the material. I wish we would have painted it before gluing the material on because it would have been so much easier; nonetheless, it looks great. When we do the second shade, we will paint the inside gold first and use the spray adhesive sparingly because it does not dry clear.
PHASE II, The Chandelier
Man did we brainstorm to get the chandelier just right. The chandelier we had on hand from Ikea was too long for our ceilings. We only have 8 foot ceilings, and when Chris hung the chandelier as is, he had to duck to walk under it. That clearly would not do. We tried to remove pieces and alter pieces, but it just simply would not fit together properly and hang at the height we needed. I almost scrapped the whole project. Then Chris had a genius idea… We He completely removed the portion of the chandelier that attached to the ceiling and attached the chandelier directly into the old light fixture. This allowed the chandelier to hang directly from the ceiling instead of from a chain or rod out of the ceiling. It was shear luc k that the threads matched up. Guess Murphy’s Law skipped over us this time!
Now that we have that problem solved, it’s time to get to work. First I removed all the prisms from the chandelier and put them in labeled bags so I would remember where they go and thank goodness I did. Next I spray painted the chandelier with the metallic paint. I used a dark metallic color to contrast the gold in the fabric.
Once the paint was dry, I reattached each prism to the chandelier. This took forever and I am not a patient person. I whined the whole time. LOL. I was so thrilled when it was completed and Chris was finally able to hang the new chandelier.
And here it is… The big reveal… My new DIY Lampshade Chandelier
This is just the piece I needed to add some sparkle to the entryway!